Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Time to Let Go and Move On

All things eventually come to an end, not just the bad ones.  And so does this story. 

Earthquakes weren’t the only natural disaster standing in the way of my wedding.  The night of my bachelorette party was a literal washout.  Yes, a tropical storm blew through that evening, cancelling my bachelorette party and flooding my house.  I know what you’re thinking…an earthquake, a hurricane…what else could possibly go wrong?  The funny part is, that’s not where the trouble ended at all, it’s where it started.  The biggest natural disaster of all was the groom himself. 
A week later, just days before the wedding, started as a really exciting day.  It was my rescheduled bachelorette party and we were all excited for the wedding, only 2 days away.  After 2.5 years, it was finally here.  Mr. Wrong decided that since I was having my first, and only, bachelorette party, he was entitled to another one.  It turns out his solo trip to that tropical island only one month prior wasn’t enough; he needed one at home too.  I remember asking him not to, telling him I had a bad feeling, but SURPRISE, he didn’t care.  And so he went, and I did too.  I wouldn’t hear from him again until the next afternoon, hours after he was supposed to pick me up for our rehearsal.  He was nowhere to be found. 
As my family and I scrambled to decide what to do next, since my wedding venue was hours away from home, I decided to check my voicemail.  There it was – 1 missed call.  I didn’t recognize the number, how would I though?  I don’t normally receive calls from the city jail.  And that is where the story should have ended, but it didn’t. 
Mr. Wrong had been arrested the night before, for reasons I’m still not sure of, in the classiest part of town.  No one bothered to call me, not a friend, no one.  Instead, his friends and family left him in jail, and traveled to the wedding venue.  My family, complete strangers to him, all went down to central booking to bail out my soon-to-be-groom.  They literally traveled 7,000 miles to bail him out of jail, how horrifying and embarrassing.  Words simply can’t do it justice.  Where was his family you might ask?  They were in a party bus on their way to the venue.  As his brother told me, “Please don’t tell my mother, we don’t want to ruin her day.”  Glad we got that cleared up!  Here I thought it was MY day.  Well, she did eventually find out, and she wasn’t upset at all, but the rest of his family never knew…well until now, that is.

Anyway, why everyone thought to travel to the wedding venue with the groom in jail is beyond me, then again, I bailed him out of jail hours before our wedding day and married him.  I suppose neither were good ideas.  I married him because I loved him, and I married him because I believe that sometimes people make mistakes and deserve second chances.  So, like he told me later that night at the hotel, “If you love me, you’ll forgive me.”  And I did.  It wasn’t the wedding day I imagined, and certainly nothing I had planned, but we made the best of it.  The wedding went on flawlessly.  Sounds like a happy ending right?  Wrong again!
Seven months after I bailed him out of jail and we got married, on Easter no less, he walked out and never came back.  And that is where that story ends, but not mine.  This is just one short, dramatic, and horrible chapter, but it’s not the end for me, it’s the beginning.  I’m not quite sure what it’s the beginning of, but here’s to hoping!   
AND….that’s all she wrote!!
P.S. Thank you for reading my blog.  I wish you all well, and a pleasant walk down whatever aisle you choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment