Monday, July 23, 2012

Great Expectations


I’ve always been one to believe that anything worth having doesn’t come easy, and the best things in life are worth fighting for.  In fact, that was the central thought behind my relationship and why I put up with as much as I did.  I don’t believe in perfection, but I do believe in striving for it.  My soon-to-be ex-husband would tell you that nothing is ever good enough for me, but that’s not true.  I’m sadly very easily satisfied, but I don’t accept less if I know something can be better.  I expected the same in my relationship.  Why settle for mediocrity when you know you can have greatness?  The problem is, you can’t expect greatness from someone that cares about nothing.  Well, I suppose that’s a harsh generalization.  Mr. Wrong didn’t care about nothing; he just didn’t care about anything related to me.  He certainly cared a lot about himself, his mom, his friends, and having a good time at all costs.  And in the end, it cost him a lot.  But again, he couldn’t be bothered to care about that either. 
The point is – the picture above is right.  Don’t let others tell you that your expectations are too high.  They’re only telling you because they’re either not capable or willing to meet them.  As my great friend always says, “It’s in setting your standards too low that you get less than what you deserve.” 

1 comment: